In March 2001 Google's market share was about 90.1 %; We could pretty much consider Google as a monopoly. This was different than what U.S society was used to in the 90's because then we had Excite, Ask Jeeves, Likos, etc. At the time many thought of Google's search results as superior compared to its competitors. From this Google became more popular, so popular, that its brand began helping the company take control of the "Search Engine" market.
But now is Google taking second place to Bing?
From my research I have found that Bing isn't quite taking the place of Google just yet...But, Bing is growing slowly more and more. In January Bing received more "hits" than Google; Some people have been claiming that Bing offered more accurate results. Personally I've used both and have found much difference in results.
There also has been some drama between the two competitors. Google accused Bing of monitoring its search results in order to make their own search results better.
In closing, I don't mind if Google and Bing transitioned to be on the same level as one another, although I know Google take a huge loss, and Bing a huge gain. Monopolies to me, in a sense, limit choices anyway and for the user that is not always a good thing. I believe if people aren't having success with one thing that they should be able to have choices.
Sources: Business Insider
247 Wall St.
No comments:
Post a Comment